Tweed Courthouse

1825-18641865-1899CivicManhattan

52 Chambers Street, New York, NY, United States

ARCHITECTS
John Kellum, Leopold Eidlitz

BUILT 1881

RESTORED BY John G. Waite Associates

RESTORED 2001

INTERIOR DESIGNATED 1984

DESIGNATED AREAS
First floor interior consisting of:
● Rotunda
● Stairhalls
● Staircases leading to the second floor
Second floor interior consisting of:
● Rotunda
● Stairhalls
● Staircases leading to the third floor
● Rooms 201 and 202 (former courtroom)
Third floor interior consisting of:
● Rotunda
● Stairhalls
● Staircases leading ot the fourth floor
Fourth floor interior consisting of:
● Rotunda
● Stairhalls
● wells above the main stairhalls
● Staircases leading to the fifth floor
Fifth floor interior consisting of:
● Rotunda up to and including the skylight
Fixtures and interior components of these spaces including but not limited to, wall and ceiling surfaces, floor surfaces including glass block, columns, light fixtures, stair railings, well railings, doors, and fireplaces

TweedCourthouse

Excerpt from Landmarks Preservation Commission designation report:

“The Commission further finds that, among its important qualities, the Tweed Courthouse interior is one of New York’s grandest and most important 19th-century interior spaces; that it was built over a period of twenty years, to the designs of two of New York’s most prominent architects of the second half of the 19th century, John Kellum and Leopold Eidlitz, and that consequently it was the product of two very different but equally significant architectural trends, the mid-century Italianate and the later Victorian Romanesque, of which Kellum and Eidlitz were among the city’s principal exponents; that it is one of the few and one of the best remaining grand Italianate interior spaces in the city, and an excellent example of the Victorian Romanesque type; that it is the sole known surviving cast-iron interior space in the city where that architectural material was introduced and most extensively developed; that although its architects’ approaches were antithetical, they combined in the courthouse to form an overwhelmingly grand and rich public space; that historically the Courthouse is a reminder of the massive municipal correction that characterized New York in the second half of the 19th century; and that, despite its early reputation as a symbol of greed and corruption, the Tweed Courthouse interior survives as an important part of New York’s architectural heritage, and one of its finest public interiors.”

LPC Designation Reports

Photograph by Larry Lederman © All rights reserved