Seventh Regiment Armory (Park Avenue Armory)

1865-18991900-1917CivicManhattan

643 Park Avenue, NY, United States

ARCHITECTS
Charles W. Clinton, Robinson & Knust

BUILT 1881, 1911

RESTORED BY Herzog & de Meuron, Platt Bayard Dovell White Architects

RESTORED ongoing

INTERIOR DESIGNATED 1994

DESIGNATED AREAS
First floor interior consisting of the Entrance Hall, the main corridor, the grand Stair Hall and staircase leading to the basement and to the second floor, the Veterans’ Room, the Library, the Reception Room, the Board of Officers Room (Colonel Emmons Clark Memorial Room), the Colonel’s Room, the Adjutant’s Room, the Equipment Room, the Outer Committee Room, the Inner Committee Room, the Field and Staff Room, and the Drill Room (excluding the storage rooms beneath the gallery, but including the four corner stairs and the passageways to the Lexington Avenue and administration building entrances); the second floor interior consisting of the main corridor, the grand Stair Hall and staircase leading to the third floor, the staircases at the north and south ends of the main corridor leading to the third floor, the Company A (First Company) Room, the Company B (Second Company) Room, the Company C (Third Company) Room, the Company D (Fourth Company) Room, the Company E (Fifth Company) Room and western alcove, the Company F (Sixth Company) Room and western alcove, the Company G (Seventh Company) Room, the Company H (Eighth Company) Room, the Company I (Ninth Company) Room, the Company K (Tenth Company) Room, the Company L (Eleventh Company) Room, and the Company M (Twelfth Company) Room; and the fixtures and interior components of these spaces, including but not limited to, wall, ceiling, and floor surfaces, woodwork, cabinets, fireplaces, doors and door hardware, chandeliers, light fixtures, stained-glass window screens, stair railings, radiators, affixed paintings, attached decorative elements, and Drill Room roof trusses

Seventh-Regiment-Armory

Excerpt from Landmarks Preservation Commission designation report:

“As an ensemble, the regimental and company rooms of the Seventh Regiment Armory are a nationally important collection of high-style interiors, designed to reflect the late-Victorian taste of the late 1870s and early 1880s, with decorative sensibilities of the Aesthetic Movement, and woodwork mostly in the Renaissance Revival style. The interiors of the Armory are on a scale with and display and elegance and quality usually found only in the interiors of private clubs and the most ornate residences, few of which survive in New York City from this period. These rooms contain an abundance of woodwork and cabinetry, particularly the company rooms, and as a whole they exhibit an unusual degree of intactness, despite their usage by the national guard and the exigencies for changes. The alterations to these rooms made during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries exhibit either change in contemporary taste or the skillful adaptation to existing decor. These rooms, with the newly created rooms of 1909-13, the corridors, and the Stair Hall, also contain a large and important collection of both original gas and early electric chandeliers and other lighting fixtures. Together with the Drill Room, highly significant for its engineering in the creation of one of the largest unobstructed spaces in New York City in its day, the interiors of the Seventh Regiment Armory represent the height of American interior design within a single building, for a “single” (in this case military) client, during a period of fifty years.”

LPC Designation Reports

Photograph courtesy Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, HABS NY, 31-NEYO, 121–21