A time-capsule of early 19th century residential life, the Seabury Tredwell House retains its interiors almost entirely intact, since it was occupied by the same family for more than a century. In 1936 it became the Merchant’s House Museum, and was saved again in 1962 when the Decorators Club underwrote its restoration, and later, in the 1970s, when government and private support funded another restoration by architect Joseph Roberto. Reopened in 1979, it is managed by the Historic House Trust in association with the Department of Parks & Recreation.
The structural integrity of the house is currently endangered by the construction of an eight-story hotel on an adjacent lot, raising questions about the LPC’s responsibility to protect designated landmarks in the face of the city’s ongoing construction and growth.
Photographs 1, 2, 4 & 5 by Larry Lederman © All rights reserved
Photograph 3 courtesy of Merchant’s House Museum