New York Public Library

1900-1917CivicManhattan

476 Fifth Avenue, NY, United States

ARCHITECTS
Carrere & Hastings

DESIGNER
Edward Laning

BUILT 1911

RESTORED BY Davis Brody Bond (Rose Reading Room)

RESTORED 1998

INTERIOR DESIGNATED 1974

DESIGNATED AREAS
Main lobby [now called Astor Hall]
North and south staircases from the first floor to the third floor
Central Hall on the third floor [now called McGraw Rotunda]

NewYorkPublicLibrary-mainhall

Excerpt from Landmarks Preservation Commission designation report:

“The Commission further finds that, among its important qualities, the Main Lobby, the North and South Staircases from the first floor to the third floor, and the Central Hall on the third floor of the New York Public Library are interior spaces of monumental scale and outstanding quality, that they display some of the finest stonework and vaulting in the City, that the ornamental plaster ceilings are of great elegance, that the murals and decorative objects are among the best of their kind, and that these rooms and staircases provide a grand approach to the facilities of one of the finest libraries in the world.”

Photograph courtesy Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, LC-D4-72708