Gould Memorial Library

1865-1899BronxEducation

2155 University Avenue, Bronx, NY, United States

ARCHITECTS
Stanford White (McKim, Mead & White)

BUILT 1899

RESTORED BY Easton Architects

RESTORED 2004

INTERIOR DESIGNATED 1981

DESIGNATED AREAS
Ground floor, main floor, rotunda and dome, basement foyer

Gould1

Gould Memorial Library was designed as the centerpiece of New York University’s northern campus, with a central library surrounded by a colonnade (now the Hall of Fame). It was part of an ambitious plan to give the university a new campus free from the distractions of city life, and financed by the daughter of financier Jay Gould.

The building, considered Stanford White’s masterpiece, is a pristine Classical form, enclosing the dome-topped circular Reading Room, a spectacle of green marble columns, Tiffany gilded capitals, and life-size Classical statues. The library was relocated in 1968, and the building fell victim to fire, water leaks, and pollution damage.

The campus became Bronx Community College in 1973 and a grant from the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York enabled stabilization and replication of plasterwork in the main public rooms. With funds from Getty Trust, Easton Architects created a conservation plan for the Gould Library, and repairs to the interior plaster and Tiffany windows has already begun.

Photographs by Larry Lederman © All rights reserved