Appellate Division Courthouse

1865-1899CivicManhattan

27 Madison Avenue, New York, NY, United States

ARCHITECTS
James Brown Lord

BUILT 1899

RESTORED BY Platt Byard Dovell White

RESTORED 2000

INTERIOR DESIGNATED 1981

DESIGNATED AREAS
First floor interior consisting of
• Main Hall
• Courtroom including:
o Built-in marble benches
o Judges’ bench
• Lawyers’ ante-room
• Lawyers’ room
• Staircase leading from the main hall to the second floor
Fixtures and interior components of these spaces, including wall and ceiling surfaces, doors, murals, chandeliers, attached light fixtures, stained-glass windows, stained-glass dome, freestanding wooden railings in courtroom, wood paneling, and staircase railings

AppellateDivisionCourt

Excerpt from Landmarks Preservation Commission designation report:

“The Commission further finds that, among its important qualities, the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, First Department (Appellate Division Courthouse), designed by James Brown Lord and built in 1896-99, is a significant example of neo-Italian Renaissance architecture inspired by Palladian sources; that the courthouse with its interior is a major manifestation of the turn-of-the-century movement which called for an integration of architecture, sculpture, and painting and the first in New York to carry out the ideals of the movement; that the interior and exterior harmoniously work together to depict aspects of the theme of Justice and the Law and create a sense of architectural magnificence, especially manifest on the interior, appropriate to the functions of the court and the interior is both lavish and elegant in its materials and furnishings; that the interior displays the work of some of America’s foremost artists and craftsmen; that this work is an integral part of the design; and that, carefully maintained and preserved, the interior continues to serve the needs of the First Department of the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York.”

Photography © New-York Historical Society

LPC Designation Reports